Frugal Family Fun in Ottawa
Did you know that entertaining and enjoying time together as a family does not need to cost a lot of money? Its true-despite what parenting magazines and social media ads would like to have you believe. Yes, there are activities that cost more than others, but there are also a lot of inexpensive and even FREE activities you can do instead. In fact there are many free options available that you may have not even known about!
One example of a free & fun outing is visiting one of the many museums around the Nation’s Capital. With so many options to choose from, there is a museum for every family.
Here is a run down of which museums offer free admission during specific periods:
- The newly renovated Canadian Museum of Nature offers free admission on Thursday nights from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- The Canada Agriculture and Food Museum offers free admission between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. each day. The adjacent Central Experimental Farm is a great place to cycle or run.
- The Canada Aviation and Space Museum offers free admission between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. each day.
- The Canadian Museum of History (formerly the Canadian Museum of Civilization) and the Canadian War Museum offer free admission on Thursday nights from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- The Canada Science and Technology Museum offers free admission between 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. daily.
- The National Gallery of Canada offers free admission to the Natural Collection:
- Every Thursday 5-8 pm
- Sunday May 20, 2018 (International Museums Day)
- Sunday June 3, 2018 (Ottawa Doors Open)
- Sunday July 1, 2018 (Canada Day)
- Sunday September 30, 2018 (Culture Days)
Can’t make those specific times to visit your favourite museum? Another great tip is that the Ottawa Public Library offers Museum Passes which allow you and your family access to various museums as many times as you would like over a 7 day period. These passes are only available at the express checkout and therefore sometimes tricky to track down, ask your local branch for details!
Looking for a meal out with the kids that won’t cost an arm and a leg? Here are a few of our favourite eateries where kids eat FREE! Many local establishments know that families are on a budget and offer a kids eat free night.
- Broadway Bar & Grill-Tuesdays 5-9 pm
- Zak’s Diner (Kanata location only)-Mondays & Tuesdays
- Barley Mow-Sundays (all day)
- Jonny Canucks-Sundays
For other FREE events why not check out your local Community Association? Many Associations offer events such as BBQ’s, Bicycle Safety Days and even Scavenger Hunts to get you involved with your neighbourhood! Most events are free or by donation (for example supporting your local Food Bank)!
Being a family on a budget doesn’t mean you can’t have fun! Get out there and take advantage of the events that are happening all around you! Your kids will thank you and you will never have to hear those 2 most dreaded words “I’m bored!”